Founded in 1995, Pont de Suert Wildlife Centre was initially aimed at the environmental preservation, awareness and education of otters. It is now devoted to semiaquatic mammals (otter, European mink, and others).
Tel. 973 691 213 / 675 781 875
Located in an area of Pont de Suert fish farm, the Wildlife Centre is a dissemination and awareness organization that informs about the difficulties related to these animals and their habitat. It also carries out different tasks of research, breeding and recovery of injured or ill individuals. Founded in 1995, Pont de Suert Wildlife Centre was initially aimed at the environmental preservation, awareness and education of otters. It is now devoted to semiaquatic mammals (otter, European mink, and others).
Located on the left bank of Noguera Ribagorçana, at the junction of N-230 (Lleida-Vielha) and N-260 (Pont de Suert-Pobla de Segur) roads, it was built into the enclosure of Ribagorça Fish Farm, which produces common trouts for the repopulation of the Catalan rivers and lakes. Free didactic guided visits to all audiences are offered by our specialised instructors.
The Centre is open to the public from 11.00 to 12.00, from Tuesday to Friday, until 11th September. Closed during the rest of the year.
The main goals of the Centre are the following:
- Recovery of semiaquatic carnivore mammals and captive breeding.
- Implementation of the Captive Breeding Programme for the western population of European wink as part of the Protection strategy of the specie managed by the centre’s working group.
- Captive breeding of native crayfish as one of the previous actions to the Recovery Plan of the specie in Catalonia and stocking of crayfish during the emergency actions (droughts, canal emptying, etc.).
- Public information, dissemination and awareness related to the importance of the protection of fluvial ecosystems and their biodiversity. Information and support of the population regarding the preservation of European minks, otters, common trouts and crayfish as emblematic species of local rivers.
- Captive breeding of the Mediterranean trout and progressive replacement of the Atlantic trout by the Mediterranean trout for repopulations.